The Fashion world is a fast changing and exciting industry with more than 79,000 businesses employing over 340,000 people in the UK alone. Fashion & Textiles A Level will develop your knowledge and skills to enable you to design and produce exciting textile products around your personal interests. you will develop a well-rounded understanding of all aspects of the fashion industry; from decorative techniques, pattern cutting, the history of fashion, fashion designers, how fibres and fabrics are made and the ever changing world of smart and technical textiles.
- Learn about the wide range of materials in use today.
- Learn about industry standards, technologies and techniques.
- Develop skills to create fashion and costumes as well as soft furnishings and decorative textiles.
- Work for a client to produce a coursework (NEA) folder and finished product.
- Explore the work of great designers and influential design movements, by visiting exhibitions, when possible.
- Develop an understanding of the diversity, environmental, social and ethical issues surrounding Textiles.
Minimum Entry Requirements
GCSE Textiles or Design and Technology Grade 6.If you were unable to study Textiles or Technology at GCSE you will be considered following discussion with the Subject Leader.
Combines well with…
Art & Design, Art Based Photography, Mathematics.
The course provides an excellent foundation for a career or further study in the fields of Fashion and Textiles. Future pathways might include costume design, fashion design, clothing technology, fashion buying, textiles design for printed, woven or knitted textiles, fashion buying, journalism and visual merchandising. Some students combine costume design with careers on the stage. Successful textiles students usually go on to a foundation course leading to a fashion, textiles or creative based degree course.